Subject: 1.4.2 install notes
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/12/2000 18:49:42
Hi,

since I've recently aquired an old 7600, I've taken some interest
in this port.  I'm a relative beginner with Macs, so you'll all
hopefully bear with me as I point out a few missing items from
the current version of the install notes.  The stumbling blocks
I've found so far include:

 o I think the install notes ought to contain a minimal
   "OpenFirmware survival guide".  This would ideally explain

    - how to get into OpenFirmware
    - how to boot from the floppy
    - how to boot from the network
    - how to get the firmrware input/output from the screen
    - a pointer to other relevant information regarding these
      and related issues

   I see that some of these items are part of the FAQ for the
   port.  Perhaps it's now time to move the answers from the FAQ
   to the documentation proper?

 o The install notes mention that it's possible to boot macppc
   via the network, and it suggests that you need 30MB on a file
   server to do so.  However, nowhere is an example OF boot
   command shown to indicate how you may actually get the Mac to
   actually do a network boot (see above), and the boot process
   isn't explained either.  I'm left with the following
   questions:

    - Which protocols does the network boot process use (this
      translates into "what do I need to configure on the server
      end to make it go")
    - Does the boot process use a two-stage loader, or can I boot
      the kernel directly (which translates into "which files do
      I minimally need on the file server to make it go")?
    - How do I tell it which file to boot?
    - The notes speak about 30M on the file server.  Surely you
      don't need that much if you are only going to boot the
      install kernel (assuming that is even possible, directly or
      indirectly) to install on a "fresh" disk (as in my case)?

I'll also note that distrib/notes/prep ends rather abruptly.

It would be really nice if someone could put in the little time
needed to fix these issues, before the 1.4.2 release (which
should go out "soon").  If someone needs editing / proofreading
assistance, I'll do my best to provide that.

Best regards,

- H=E5vard