Subject: Re: Boot Supermac C500
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@flashcom.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/08/2000 01:46:01
Thanks Henry,

I figured it out, for the C500 the boot device is  ata/@0:0. My problem was
the the 1.4.2_Alpha snapshot would not boot. With ata/@0:0 I would get the
start of the boot:

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.1
>> (tsubai@mint.iri.co.jp, Tue Jul 20 01:13:42 JST 1999)

and then a message along the line of "unrecognized executable format"

I decided to try to go back to the 19990620 snapshot. Everything installed
fine and it boots fine with ata/@0:0. I then downloaded the current source
and compiled a kernel (I need the latest tlp drivers). The machine boots but
then it stops at:

boot device: <unknown>
root device:

I put in wd0a and then I get:

dump device (default wd0b):
file system (default generic):

After hitting return twice it continues booting. Why does it do this only
with my custom current kernel and not the generic? Anyone have any idea why
the Alpha snapshot won't boot? I tried installing the 19990620 snapshot and
then upgrading to the Alpha but no dice.

cheers,

matthew