Subject: Re: telnet login refused
To: Atsushi Uchida <auchida@air.linkclub.or.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/07/2000 14:59:10
On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Atsushi Uchida wrote:

> Hi everyone! This in my first inquiry!!
>
> Today I installed NetBSD 1.4.1 to Centris 650.

As noted, you probably want to check out the port-mac68k list, rather than
the port-macppc list.

> It was succcesfully finished and I vipw-ed to make users.
> After that, I tried to login by telnet via Ethernet from PowerBook
> using NCSA telnet application, but the login was completely refused.
>
> I made following settings on NetBSD.
>
> Made new accout with vipw
> MY-ACCOUNT:PASSWORD:0:0:0::0:0: :/home/MY-ACCOUNT:/bin/csh

Right. As others have mentioned, the problem is that you gave your new
account UID 0. That makes it root. Root normally can't just log in over
telnet.

I'd suggest using a different UID. Then su to root when you need to.

> Add MY-ACCOUNT in /etc/group file
> wheel:*:0:root, MY-ACCOUNT
>
> Then, I have questions.
> 1. Remote-login(telnet) user must be specified in NetBSD?
>     If so, How can can I do?

?? telnetd works just like any other telnetd for the most part.

> 2. As the user whose gid is "0" can be etitled as superuser
>     when telnet, the other user whose gid is not "0" can not
>     even login by telnet.

Sounds like something else is wrong.

Take care,

Bill