Subject: Re: Any docs on NetBSD on B&W G3's?
To: William R. Dickson <wrd@awenet.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/07/2000 15:03:39
On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, William R. Dickson wrote:

> I see that the supported models page indicates that NetBSD runs on
> the B&W G3's with the kernel on an HFS partition.  Is there any
> documentation anywhere on doing such an installation?  I haven't been
> able to find anything on the site...

Things might have changed recently, but the general idea is:

boot hdalias:p1,kernel

hdalias is whatever the OF alias is for the drive in question is

p1 is the in-order HFS partition number of the HFS partition.

One drawback is that OF puts the 646 pciide controller in a polling mode
our firmware initialization doesn't reset, so while you can boot from an
ide disk, you then can't use it.

I think booting from a zip (on the other ide interface) is fine.

Take care,

Bill