Subject: Re: telnet login refused
To: Atsushi Uchida <auchida@air.linkclub.or.jp>
From: H. Eckert <eckert@convergence.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/07/2000 13:33:23
Quoting Atsushi Uchida (auchida@air.linkclub.or.jp):
> Today I installed NetBSD 1.4.1 to Centris 650.

I bet it doesn't have a PowerPC chip inside :-)

> Made new accout with vipw
> MY-ACCOUNT:PASSWORD:0:0:0::0:0: :/home/MY-ACCOUNT:/bin/csh

What's wrong about "adduser" ?

> Add MY-ACCOUNT in /etc/group file
> wheel:*:0:root, MY-ACCOUNT

Remove that space after the comma!

> Then, I have questions.
> 1. Remote-login(telnet) user must be specified in NetBSD?
>     If so, How can can I do?

If what you're asking is "Do I have to configure an account
to allow telnet logins?" the answer is no.  UID 0 is an
exception due to security concerns.

> 2. As the user whose gid is "0" can be etitled as superuser
>     when telnet, the other user whose gid is not "0" can not
>     even login by telnet.

As the other replies already pointed out, superuser login via
telnet (apart from being bad in a big way for sending a root
passwort in cleartext over a potentially unsafe wire) needs to
connect to a pseudo-tty that has been set to "secure" in /etc/ttys.

What you really want to do is to use a secured connection.  Install
ssh(d) on the BSD machine and use a secure telnet client.  These are
available for a MacOS client machine as well.  Just take a look at
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~jonasw/freeware/

> I would like to know your advices!!

Get yourself a good book about unix administration ?

Greetings,
				Ripley