Subject: Re: hangs with macppc in -current?
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/30/2000 22:21:29
On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 09:32:49AM +0100, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 09:30:42PM -0500, Dan Winship wrote:
> > For a long time now, my macppc box has been wedging solid every now
> > and then. I chalked it up to "port-macppc flakiness". After a while I
> > -- Dan
> I've seen similar events on my G3 233MHz Desktop (first generation or so G3),
> 64MB RAM, running MacOS on the IDE disk and NetBSD on an internally mounted
> SCSI disk.
>
> The difference in my case is that when the machine dies, it is always about to
> open a  new window in X (typically emacs or xterm, the X app may be running
> locally or via ssh on another machine). This typically
> happens after a few hours or days of uptime and some significant system activities.
> In my way of using the machine, this is often after updating the NetBSD sources
> when I  want to take a look on what was updated since last time. A few times,
> it dies at the first xterm after system start, which is somewhat inconvenient
> because a restart with fsck does take its time :-( I've never seen the problems
> with non-X applications, e.g. it has not yet died when I was rsync'ing my
> NetBSD repository from another system.
>
> When the  problem started several months ago, the machine just hang and had to be
> reset, but when I removed support for ddb, it just reboots. Nothing is logged
> about the cause in /var/log/messages or other places where I've looked.
>
> - Erik Bertelsen
>
> ps: maybe I should really find the cables and hook up a serial console and use
> that with ddb re-enabled.......

In follow-up to my own message:

My problem was not related to the kern_proc lossage that was fixed by Jason.

I have now hooked up my mac68k system as a console for my powermac and by setting
the openfirmware output device to ttya, the openfirmware output is displayed on the
other machine while it still uses the powermac's own keyboard. This setup allows
me to still use X on the powermac. Actually if ddb is activated, then input will
be taken from the serial console...

Without options DDB in the kernel, it will eventually die with

panic: trap
syncing disks... 14 14 4 done
dumpsys: TBD
rebooting

Then I added options DDB,DEBUG and after a while, it died again:

Stopped in Xmacppc at   0x1f1518:       lwz r0, r1, 0x14,
db> t
at ?+ffffffff
at ?+ffffffff
saved LR(0x6db6db69) is invalid.
db>

db> ps
 PID             PPID       PGRP        UID S   FLAGS          COMMAND    WAIT
 2351            2350       2351        269 2  0x4006            emacs
 2350            2349       2350        269 3  0x4086             bash    wait
 2349               1        196        269 3  0x4184            xterm  select
 20312          20310      20312        269 3  0x4086             bash   ttyin
 20310              1        196        269 3  0x4184            xterm  select
 220              219        220        269 3  0x4086             bash   ttyin
 219                1        196        269 3  0x4184            xterm  select
 211                1        196        269 3  0x4084           oclock  select
 208                1        196        269 3  0x4084          smproxy  select
 206                1        196        269 3  0x4084              twm  select
 201              200        201        269 3    0x84       ssh-agent1  select
 200              196        196        269 3  0x4084              xsm  select
 196              174        196        269 3  0x4084               sh    wait
 187                1        185          0 2    0x84         xconsole

This happened once more, with the same address, but a different set processes
running.

I'm now current at Friday's sup, but the problem has persisted for several months
now. It always happens when opening a new window in X (client either local on another
machine --  except once, when it happened while resizing a window. If I don't
create new windows, it'll normally keep up for days, while rebuilding NetBSD or
doing a complete make World of X, just to keep it working...

Any ideas of the cause of the death or some ddb exercises that I could perform?

- Erik