Subject: Re: boot floppy image
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2000 16:09:54
> I thought we only used vnd0.

So did I, but some UTSL instinct told me to check, and lo!

threegx:105% fgrep vnd macppc/floppies/*/Makefile
macppc/floppies/bootfloppy/Makefile:VND?=               vnd0
macppc/floppies/ramdisk/Makefile:VND?=          vnd1

> One thing which help swith disk overflows is that our scripts used to use
> the installed disktab, even if DESTDIR were set. I think I've fixed this.

I have changes that I've used successfully on sparc/sun3 and something else,
that let you specify the geometry in the Makefile and it writes out a mini
disktab entry which is then used. You still have to keep the kernel config
file MINIROOTSIZE consistent with it, but at least that's one less file to
track.

> One time the install floppy size had grown (because it had to), but I
> hadn't updated /etc/disktab, so I was still making old, small install
> floppies. :-(

The whole process could be automated:
    1. Create a "mini destdir" and install the ramdisk contents there.
    2. estimate the ramdisk size, create a vnd filesystem and copy over to it.
    3. if it overflows or the freespace is wasteful, resize and repeat #2.
    4. sed MINIROOTSIZE in the kernel config files and THEN build kernels.
    5. mdsetroot.

I've got a couple issues in the queue before this, so no ETA at the moment.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com