Subject: Re: 68k to ppc port info query
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: Roger Brown <rogerhb@xtra.co.nz>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/12/2000 10:54:21
So let's see if I have the complete picture....

In order to get a UNIX OS running on the Peforma 6200, we already have....

1. mklinux, which works on most Mac PPCs and uses a MacOS style booter.

2. linuxppc which requires PCI/Open Firmware

3. NetBSD/macppc which requires PCI/Open Firmware

4. NetBSD/mac68k which works on the LC 630, but at the moment IDE support i=
not complete.

My assumptions are...

1. mklinux has IDE support, is this true?

2. Porting NetBSD driver code to linux is non-trivial.

Possible solutions are as follows...

1. Take the hardware knowledge derived from NetBSD/mac68k LC 630 support an=
hence add Performa 6200 support to mklinux.

2. Somehow create an OpenFirmware booter as a MacOS application that could
start either linuxppc or NetBSD/macppc. (by that I mean have a MacOS
application that adds a lump of code into memory that emulates the
OpenFirmware ROMs).

3. Use a distinct Booter as used for NetBSD/mac68k in order to boot
NetBSD/macppc on a non PCI Mac.

If some form of MacOS booter were created for the PPC, the LC 630 support i=
NetBSD/mac68k could then be added to NetBSD/macppc.

On reflection the MacOS psuedo-OpenFirmware booter looks the most elegant
solution, but adding support the 'hard' way to mklinux looks like the
quickest solution.

I have an external 500Mb SCSI drive so IDE is not initially an issue.

Do any of the ports include support for a PDS Ethernet card (I have an
Asant=E9 ethernet card in the 6200)?

How far does the 6200 currently get on bootup of mklinux?

Why is it that mklinux works on the Peforma 6360?

Is it true that non of the PPC ports rely on any 68000 emulation from ROM?

Not currently having a PPC box that can run any of the PPC ports means I
can't do any compilations of kernels to test on a Performa 6200. But I woul=
be happy to test any compiled code.

Regards

Roger Brown