Subject: Re: 68k to ppc port info query
To: Roger Brown <rogerhb@xtra.co.nz>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/11/2000 16:21:32
On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 09:27:55AM +1200, Roger Brown wrote:
> Does the mac68k port work on LC 630 or Quadra 630, and if so does it also
> work with IDE?

As David says, no IDE. (Yet?)

I'm not sure which processor is in the LC 630, but to get my Performa
636 (vaguely the same machine) to work, I had to replace the 68LC040
with a regular 68040.

The 68LC040 lacks an FPU which, though it's not an inherent hamstring
(we do FPU emulation on the 68030 successfully), causes problems
because the 68LC040 does *not* emulate FPU properly (or, at least,
NetBSD doesn't do it properly).

68040 chips can be gotten pretty cheaply from many of the used mac
hardware mail order shops, and the one in my 636 was socketed, as will
the one in the LC and Quadra 63x series be, presuming they use the
same motherboard, which the Apple Spec Database
(http://www.info.apple.com/applespec/applespec.taf) seems to imply.

Also, the Database says the Quadra 630 has a 68040 while the LC 630
has a 68LC040... so the Quadra *should* work without modifications,
but the LC won't.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net