Subject: Re: Co-existance of NetBSD and Mac OS: Is it possible?
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/10/2000 20:23:20
Dan Winship  (danw@MIT.EDU) wrote:

>> I think other fs types, like LFS, probably should get a different fs type
>> string.
>
>But then wouldn't those break the picky MacOS partitioning utilities?

Not if we put our information in the areas reserved for non-Apple use.

>We could just invent new values for the bzbType for LFS, etc... (We
>can't use the FS_* values from sys/disklabel.h directly, because they
>conflict with the values already being used there... but we could add
>a constant offset to them?)

There are some fields that Apple reserved for use with AU/X that we could
use.  There are also some unused areas; the "flags" field which is used
to identify what the file system type is has an 8-bit and 16-bit section
that isn't currently used.  There's also the "abm" section that follows
the time of last mount and there are 7 words following that reserved for
"abm" expansion.  We don't do anything with any of this "abm" stuff and
have all that available for reuse.  At the end is a 64 byte area that
AU/X used for the mount point of the filesystem. It was never used by
NetBSD, but I used it in the sysinst code I wrote for the mac68k port.

-bob