Subject: Re: Neat. I broke top and ps.
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/25/1999 10:33:39
On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 06:13:24PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> do a "make incldues" in /usr/src/lib, /usr/src/includes, and /usr/src/sys.
> That should get most of them. :-)

Having done that, I can now get top to compile just fine. When I run
it, however:

uriel:usr.bin/top# ./top
kvm_open: proc size mismatch (31320 total, 680 chunks)
top: Out of memory.

::sigh::

ps won't build, even having done all the make includes:

uriel:bin/ps# make
keyword.c: In function `parsefmt':
keyword.c:230: warning: null format string
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I stopped there (family Christmas stuff, bah, humbug).

> If you really want to follow -current, get all the source and look at the
> top level Makefile. :-)

Tried this in a theoretical sort of way by doing this (BEFORE
everything I list above, if that's relevent):

uriel:/usr/src# DESTDIR=/14-current make -m /usr/src/share/mk build

... and ran into the same error in keyword.c as is shown with ps
above (though I'm none too sure it was in the act of compiling ps
necessarily - I had the process screened and the modem where I am
physically disconnected, so I didn't get much useful output... maybe I
should have redirected it to a file).

Was that somehow the wrong way to try to do a full build? (Yes, I know
it won't get /etc... but it's not supposed to, right?)

I have no way to get to this machine if it blows up on behalf of Y2k,
so I was kind of hoping to at least have a ps to glance at during the
day on 12/31, but it's no huge deal (and I'm not really worried
anyhow).

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

PS, I'm not actually a scrooge, I was waiting for the rest of the
family to wake up through all of this. I'm not so silly as to expect
anyone else will even see this email till Monday. :^>