Subject: Re: Which current Macs are supported?
To: None <obrien@NUXI.com>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/21/1999 13:25:58
At 1:13 PM -0500 12/21/99, Dan Winship wrote:
>>  Thru the University I can get either a G4-{450,400,350}, or a G3
>>  Powerbook G3-{400,333}.  Which of these will or will not boot some
>>  version of NetBSD?
>
>I believe the 350MHz G4 uses the same support chips as the G3, and so
>will work. (At least, as well as the G3 does.)

Apple must have used up the inventory of the old support chips,
because now all G4s use the same new motherboard (Sawtooth).
According to the NetBSD/macppc Model Support page at
<http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html>, none of the models
listed in the original question are supported (yet).

The choices are either get an older model through some other source
than the University, or choose a new model based on the other
criteria (speed, size, price, portability, etc.) and wait for NetBSD
to support that model.  Even better, if you have the time, help get
NetBSD running on the model you choose.

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

NetBSD 1.3.3 on a Mac Quadra 800