Subject: Re: OF2.0 and/etc/mk.conf and ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/16/1999 13:52:12
On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 01:10:36PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> Bah... ssh builds clean, and installs itself outside of /usr/pkg
> (unless you force it otherwise).  That, and I can make my own decisions
> about RSAREF, etcetera. ;^>

I agree that ssh builds fine w/o the package system. :-) But with it, you
get a bit better afs performance (or so I expect from the name of one of
the patches), and you get IPv6 support.

You'd certainly better be able to make your own decisions about RSAREF,
even with the package! :-) If not, file a PR.

> There aren't many things I install this way, but I'd like to stay more
> up to date on daemons like ssh and apache (the only two which I run
> that open ports) than the pkgsrc stays. But I'm a freak. So people
> should definitely take Bill's advice over mine. :^>

I'd call that "anal" rather than freaky. :-) And in terms of security,
that's usually a good thing.

If the packages aren't keeping up enough then fix them!

When there's a mostly working port, that isn't too hard. Like if a pl foo
comes out, change the dist file, and update the checksum. If it patches
fine, you're set. :-) Then file a PR with the changes. :-)

> Any comments on the OpenSSH front, Bill?

Nope. I know someone was talking about working on it, but I haven't heard.
Sorry. :-(

Take care,

Bill