Subject: Re: OF2.0 and/etc/mk.conf and ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES
To: =?iso-8859-1?q?John=20Moore?= <johndanielmoore@yahoo.co.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/16/1999 21:28:03
On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, [iso-8859-1] John Moore wrote:

	(Cannot help you on the OF problem - I dont have a macppc machine :)

> After I installed NetBSD somebody on a different
> subnet in the collage cracked in to this machine
> .(possible that they used the ftpd, since been turned
> off and NetBSD reinstalled.)
>
> I've been looking for info for using shadow passwords
> and can't find any, could somebody please point me to
> a web site for infomation.

	NetBSD uses 'shadow' style password by default - see
	'man pwd_mkdb' or
	http://www.flame.org/cgi-bin/uncgi/hman?page=pwd_mkdb

> I tried to install ssh (I have a mac telnet client
> that supports ssh1 connections) but I receive the
> following error.
>
> ssh-1.2.27 Unacceptable license: no-commercial-use -
> set ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES in /etc/mk.conf to include
> no-commercial-use to
>
> When I looked their was no /etc/mk.conf. Is it
> possible to edit a file in the pkgsrc/security/ssh/ to
> accept the License or do I have to get mk.conf. (From
> where)

	I've just added the following to
	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html#mk.conf
	Does this help?
/etc/mk.conf can be used to define certain variables for the package
system. It is not present by default, but can be created when needed.
Among the many values which can be set are:

	- ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES=non-commercial-use fee-based-commercial-use
          Inform the package system which licences are acceptable.
	- WRKOBJDIR=/usr/obj/pkg
          Extract and build the packages in /usr/obj/pkg.
	- PACKAGES=${PKGSRCDIR}/packages/${OS_VERSION}/${MACHINE_ARCH}
          When binary packages are made, save them in an OS_VERSION and
	  MACHINE_ARCH specific subdirectory.
	- USA_RESIDENT=NO
          Used by some programs to determine licence authorisation.
	- USE_RSAREF2=NO
          Whether or not to use RSAREF2, for example in ssh.
	- DEPENDS_TARGET?=package
          Automatically build and save binary packages on dependancies

For a full list see /usr/pkgsrc/mk/mk.conf.example
(ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/mk/mk.conf.example)