Subject: Re: OF2.0 and/etc/mk.conf and ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/16/1999 13:10:36
On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> Easiest solution is, rather than fixing your licenses so that NetBSD's
> make knows that you actually want an educational license for ssh, just
> to get the source from ftp.cs.hut.fi/pub/ssh. You'll have to compile
> it yourself, of course, but that's easy enough - ./configure ; make ;
> su ; make install should get you there.

Uhm, please don't steer folks away from the package system. Among other
things, we support it much more than we will support the type of
install you describe. Plus deinstalling is MUCH easier. :-) To fix this
problem, "cp /usr/pkgsrc/mk/mk.conf.example /etc/mk.conf; vi /etc/mk.conf"

> Actually, you might want to look at OpenSSH (www.openssh.com) from the
> OpenBSD project, but we don't have a Port for it right now and the
> only Makefile around is the one that depends on a myriad of other
> OpenBSD Makefiles. When I get some free time (ha!), I plan to write up
> a Makefile to work with the source you can get from ftp.openbsd.org,
> maybe even do a NetBSD port, presuming that isn't already in the works
> (and I sincerely hope it is, considering the recent really scary
> security problems in ssh 1.2.13+ and in the RSAREF2 library, neither
> of which are a concern with OpenSSH).
>
> All that said, you should probably fix /etc/mk.conf... but I don't
> know how to (as I've never bothered ;^>).

See above.

> Anyone with better advice?
>
> As far as the claim failing... I'm not sure, but if it isn't possible
> to make it work by hook or crook now, it probably will be when someone
> gets a chance to look at that exact version of OF (if Apple'd stuck to
> something that remotely resembled a standard for this stuff, there
> wouldn't be these problems... guess they had to Think Different,
> though).

I think we need ot go trauling through the Linuxppc lists. There are LOTS
of tricks folks have come up with to get things to work. My G3 has a
paragraph worth of stuff in its OF to make things spin up right.

About shaddow passwords, you're using them. Look at /etc/passwd and
/etc/master.passwd. You won't find passwords in the former, and if you're
not root, you won't find passwords in the latter. :-)

A LOT of stuff which is an add-on in other OS's is included in NetBSD
(though in all fareness this is a 4.4BSD ism).

Take care,

Bill