Subject: Re: Problems installing on a PowerBook G3 Series
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, bgrayson@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/14/1999 08:48:11
>On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 04:54:28PM -0500, Paul Emerson wrote:
>>
>> The floppy gets hit for a few seconds (if that) then nothing; system
>> is just hung.  I've had a few times where I heard the hard disk whirl
>> and then total power shutdown.
>
>  You might want to try a netboot instead.  In my limited
>experience, I've never gotten a boot floppy to work on a
>PowerMac.  The netbooting has worked fine for me.  It's a bit of
>work to set up, but is very well documented, and once it is set
>up, you can always netboot for damage control if Bad Things
>Happen (root partition gets corrupted, etc).
>
>  Good luck!

Can anyone provide pointers to said documentation?
I have questions about both the setup of the TFTP server, and
also about the OFW part (like how do you set up the eth iface w/OFW...)

I know this works with newer versions (B&W, OFW 3.0+) but will it
work with OFW 2.4 and earlier?

I would love to get my beige G3 w/ OFW 2.4 booting reliably without
swapping out the stock ROM.

Thanks,

-dgl-