Subject: Re: How do I make a boot floppy
To: John Ryan <jryan@kgv.edu.hk>
From: matt baker <matt@sevenone.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/14/1999 10:34:17
Hello John,

Personally I create boot floppies on a FreeBSD also, I've not worried about
the bs=36k part though, and I've used the raw device.

Just do a 'dd if=boot.fs of=/dev/rfd0'.
Another couple of things I found was that Open Firmware won't handle
disk errors.
I had alot of problems booting from the floppy due to a slightly bad
floppy disk.
Try dd'ing to image back off the floppy on the FreeBSD box, and then
checking using md5
that the image is the same as the original boot.fs
I also found that the 1.1.1 release boot image always CLAIM failed on
first attempt
when booting on a PowerBook G3, but second attempt worked.

Hope this may help,

Matt.