Subject: Re: binary snapshot for macppc available
To: SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp>
From: matt baker <matt@sevenone.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/1999 11:41:42
Hello,

Wow, this is great.  thanks for looking at this so quickly.

> matt> mediabay0 at obio0 offset 0x34 irq 29
> matt> wdc0 at mediabay0 offset 0x21000 irq 14
> matt> wdc1 at obio0 offset 0x20000 irq 13
>
> wdc[01] seem to be configured properly.
>
> matt> wd0 at wdc1 channel 0 drive 0: <TOSHIBA MK2105MAV>
> matt> wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
> matt> wd0: 2067MB, 4200 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4233600 sectors
> matt> wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2
>
> Hmm.  strange...  What kind of drive is connected to media
> bay?  Maybe it need the special flags to recognize.

It's a fairly standard IBM-DTNA 2GB hard disk.  LinuxPPC find it okay.
What I'll do later tonight is swap the two drives.  ie move the internal to
the media-bay.  that way we can see if it's the drive, or the code supporing
media bay's.

> matt> I still can't however boot from the ide disk.  I'm
> matt> trying: boot ata0:0 and it just returns with default
> matt> catch each time

> matt> devalias
> matt> ata0                /pci/mac-io/ata0
> matt> ata-int             /pci/mac-io/ata0

> As the above and the device tree the below, internal IDE
> drive is mapped into ata0/disk.  So if you want to boot from
> there,
>
> boot ata0/disk@0:5,filename-whatever
>
> where 5 is first HFS partition.

> Since OF of the machine has no elf-loader package, only
> xcoff one, it can't boot directly from ofwboot.elf or
> netbsd-GENERIC_MD which are ELF executable format.
>
> Instead, try boot from ofwboot.xcf which is XCOFF format.
> It comes with 19991204 snapshot so you'll find it in
> binary/kernel directory.  Once ofwboot.* is loaded, it
> handles ELF binary.

Okay, that makes more sense.  However, (and please forgive me
probably being total stupid here), I keep getting "can't OPEN"
messages.  I've tried:
boot ata0/disk@0:5,ofwboot.xcf
boot ata0/disk@0:5,/ofwboot.xcf
boot ata0/disk@0:5,/MacHDD/ofwboot.xcf

where the ofwboot.xcf is in the top level file system (root?)
of a hard disk named MacHDD.
obviously it's not finding the file, as replacing the filename with
any other name gives the same error.  Should the file type/owenership
bits be set to anything in particular on this file for the mac OS to
execute it?

> matt> I've also tried booting from the floppy with boot fd:0
> matt> -a and then trying to boot from the hard disk, any
> matt> suggestions?
> >> boot fd:0 -a
> >> (to answer some question) netbsd -a
> matt> This results with the message "no active package", and
> matt> the reloads the floppy.
> Okay, how about 'boot fd:0 netbsd -a', then 'netbsd -a'?

Yes, that results in the same "no active package" result.
arrgh..

will keep trying to see if I can find some combination that works.

thanks,

Matt.