Subject: Re: binary snapshot for macppc available
To: None <matt@sevenone.com>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/1999 13:04:37
matt baker <matt@sevenone.com> wrote:

matt> Hello,

matt> thanks for the quick reply.  after alot of hassles
matt> trying to capture output, I think I've got what you
matt> were asking for.

Thanks for the info.

matt> I've just tried the 19991204 install to see if I can
matt> get it working on my PowerBook G3/233.
matt> Also, I've found that the installer will only
matt> recognise the internal IDE hard disk on this machine,
matt> and not a IDE hard disk plugged into either of the
matt> media bay's.

matt> mediabay0 at obio0 offset 0x34 irq 29
matt> wdc0 at mediabay0 offset 0x21000 irq 14
matt> wdc1 at obio0 offset 0x20000 irq 13

wdc[01] seem to be configured properly.

matt> wd0 at wdc1 channel 0 drive 0: <TOSHIBA MK2105MAV>
matt> wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
matt> wd0: 2067MB, 4200 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4233600 sectors
matt> wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2

Hmm.  strange...  What kind of drive is connected to media
bay?  Maybe it need the special flags to recognize.

matt> I still can't however boot from the ide disk.  I'm
matt> trying: boot ata0:0 and it just returns with default
matt> catch each time

>> Ok, please post the result of following command under Open
>> Firmware?

>> 0 > devalias
>> 0 > dev / ls

matt> devalias

matt> ata0                /pci/mac-io/ata0
matt> ata-int             /pci/mac-io/ata0
matt> ata2                /pci/pccard@13
matt> ata3                /pci/pccard@13,1
matt> ata1                /pci/mac-io/media-bay/ata1
matt> bay-ata1            /pci/mac-io/media-bay/ata1/ata-disk
matt> atapi1              /pci/mac-io/media-bay/ata1/atapi-disk
matt> fd                  /pci/mac-io/media-bay/floppy
matt> ata4                /pci/mac-io@D/media-bay/ata4
matt> bay-ata4            /pci/mac-io@D/media-bay/ata4/ata-disk
matt> atapi4              /pci/mac-io@D/media-bay/ata4/atapi-disk
matt> fd2                 /pci/mac-io@D/media-bay/floppy
matt> enet                /pci/mac-io/bmac

As the above and the device tree the below, internal IDE
drive is mapped into ata0/disk.  So if you want to boot from
there,

boot ata0/disk@0:5,filename-whatever

where 5 is first HFS partition.

matt> dev / ls

matt> FF82CF58: /packages@0
matt> FF82D708:    /disk-label@0,0
matt> FF82DC80:    /obp-tftp@0,0
matt> FF82FEF0:    /mac-files@0,0
matt> FF830610:    /mac-parts@0,0
matt> FF830D70:    /aix-boot@0,0
matt> FF8311C0:    /fat-files@0,0
matt> FF8327D8:    /iso-9600-files@0,0
matt> FF8327D8:    /xcoff-loader@0,0

Since OF of the machine has no elf-loader package, only
xcoff one, it can't boot directly from ofwboot.elf or
netbsd-GENERIC_MD which are ELF executable format.

Instead, try boot from ofwboot.xcf which is XCOFF format.
It comes with 19991204 snapshot so you'll find it in
binary/kernel directory.  Once ofwboot.* is loaded, it
handles ELF binary.

matt> FF833A08: /pci@80000000
matt> FF834B40:    /mac-io@10
matt> FF835D18:      /mesh@10000
matt> FF837340:         /sd@0,0
matt> FF838460:         /st@0,0
matt> FF83BA98:      /media-bay@34
matt> FF83BDD0:         /floppy@15000
matt> FF83CF90:         /ata1@21000
matt> FF83EE40:      /ata0@20000
matt> FF840CA0:         /disk@0,0
matt> FF843EC8:      /mac-io@D
matt> FF845118:         /escc@13000
matt> FF845208:         /ch-a@13020
matt> FF845858:      /media-bay@34
matt> FF845B68:         /floppy@15000
matt> FF846D00:         /ata4@21000
matt> FF848B60:           /disk@0,0
matt> FF849220:      /ATY,RagLTPro@11
matt> FF84F240:        /pcard@13
matt> FF854628:        /pcard@13,1

matt> I've also tried booting from the floppy with boot fd:0
matt> -a and then trying to boot from the hard disk, any
matt> suggestions?

>> boot fd:0 -a
>> (to answer some question) netbsd -a

matt> This results with the message "no active package", and
matt> the reloads the floppy.

Okay, how about 'boot fd:0 netbsd -a', then 'netbsd -a'?

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp>