Subject: PM 7200 support issues
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Eric Zylstra <ezylstra@cider2.uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/1999 14:44:14
Just a note about an entry in the FAQ:

Does NetBSD/macppc support the Power Macintosh 7200 or 7500? (top)

These machines have PCI and Open Firmware, but use the PowerPC 601
processor, which is not currently supported. NetBSD will not work on
them unless you buy a third-party processor upgrade.

The 7200 is not processor upgradeable.  There is no PDS slot as in
the x100 series and the cache chip slot is different that those
machines which can accomodate a cache slot upgrade card.  The upgrade
path is to buy a 7500 motherboard.  I'm one of the unfortunates who
saved $300 buying the 7200 instead of the 7500.  :-(

Just to be more specific (and hence, correct) I suggest changing the
last sentence in the FAQ answer to, "The 7200 is not upgradeable and
so NetBSD will not work.  NetBSD will work on the 7500 unless you buy
a third-party processor upgrade."

Eric Zylstra
ericz@ccp.uchicago.edu