Subject: Re: binary snapshot for macppc available
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/1999 02:34:07
Hi,

matt baker <mbaker@goldridge.net> wrote:

matt> I've just tried the 19991204 install to see if I can
matt> get it working on my PowerBook G3/233.  Definitly an
matt> improvement, as unlike before whenever I firstly typed
matt> in boot fd:0 I'ld get a default catch the first time,
matt> and then it work the second time, it now boots okay
matt> everytime into the installer.

Wow, I'm vary happy to hear that!

matt> I'm still however seeing the network interface not
matt> configure correctly via with the Install area, or the
matt> configure network area in the utility menu.  It always
matt> comes up with no route to host when trying to ping the
matt> nameserver.

Has sysinst still some difficaulty to configure network
interface?  That of 1.4 has, but I believe it was fixed on
before 1.4.1.

matt> However if I firstly go into the utility menu, start a
matt> shell, and enter:
matt> ifconfig bm0 192.168.31.51
matt> then go back and do the network config it works fine.

I could be wrong, but anyway.  how about the following.

ifconfig bm0 inet 192.168.31.51 netmask 255.255.255.0

Recent GENERIC kernel comes with IPv6 stuff as well, so 'inet'
might be needed.  Speed and media types might also be
important.

matt> Also, I've found that the installer will only
matt> recognise the internal IDE hard disk on this machine,
matt> and not a IDE hard disk plugged into either of the
matt> media bay's.

Following two lines are enabled on configuration file of
both GENERIC and INSTALL.  Do you have startup message?

mediabay* at obio?
wdc*    at mediabay? flags 0

matt> I still can't however boot from the ide disk.  I'm
matt> trying: boot ata0:0 and it just returns with default
matt> catch each time

Ok, please post the result of following command under Open
Firmware?

0 > devalias
0 > dev / ls

matt> I've also tried booting from the floppy with boot fd:0
matt> -a and then trying to boot from the hard disk, any
matt> suggestions?

boot fd:0 -a
(to answer some question) netbsd -a

matt> As an alternative, someone recently suggested using
matt> something like:

Sorry, I can't answer here.  Tsubai-san will, though.

matt> sorry for all the questions,

They are pretty helpful for other people, including myself
in some weeks or months later;-)

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
Hack on NetBSD, and your code runs on over 20 architectures!