Subject: Re: Re(2): binary snapshot for macppc available
To: Daniel Starmer <Daniel_Starmer@Milton.Edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/10/1999 16:34:07
On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Daniel Starmer wrote:

> just out of curiosity, is this LOADBASE variable required for loading any
> kind of XCOFF? I vaguely remember not being able to boot one of linuxppc's
> xcoff kernels and I'm wondering if this was the fix...

Yes. For whatever reason, the first four bytes of an XCOFF file are the
address of the entry point of the program. The OF xcoff loader just jumps
to this address. So if you don't load the file at the right place, it will
jump off into nothingness.

It's silly because the xcoff header says where the loader should be
loaded, and OF could do something iff that entry point's != LOADBASE..

Take care,

Bill