Subject: Re: GDB or any other debugger for macppc
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/07/1999 13:31:12
> Last I heard, it was possible to get a working gdb running with
> -current, but it doesn't cooperate well with FPU stuff on the ppc.

That's pretty much correct. "cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb; make && make
install" will get you gdb, but it doesn't deal with floating point,
and I'm not sure can read core files...

> Until there's some commercial-scale (which includes open source stuff
> like the Gimp) production being done on machines running NetBSD/macppc,
> there won't be a real call for a debugger like gdb, and that won't
> happen until the systems actually stable and complete, so...

Funny you should mention that. I discovered a few days ago that due to
a compiler bug, Gtk+ apps will crash almost immediately on the
powerpc. I'm working on it.

More generally, the problem is that there just aren't that many people
doing serious development on port-macppc, so it's still rough around a
lot of edges.

-- Dan