Subject: Re: I need a kernel
To: None <augustss@augustsson.net, thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/30/1999 18:00:51
Hi,

> How much memory does the machine have, BTW?  Since the macppc port direct-maps
> all of RAM with BATs, you're limited to 256M, I think.

What makes you think so?  While I have to admit that I haven't looked at
the macppc port to closely, this mapping with BATs is almost certainly
the same as in my original port (NetBSD/ofppc).  Assuming that it is:

The PowerPC port maps all physical addresses 1:1 to virtual addresses
via the BAT registers, except for the 512M range at 0xd0000000-0xefffffff
(these addresses are currently hardwired, but it should be quite easy to
change).

Of these two 256M ranges, one is used as a window into userspace on
copyin/copyout (and friends, albeit currently those friends are implemented
in terms of the former).  The other is used for kernel virtual memory,
i.e. memory that gets malloc'ed by the kernel, the virtual addresses
occupied by the buffers, etc.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Ciao,
Wolfgang