Subject: Re: Booting on a Beige G3 266?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/29/1999 18:17:57
on 11/29/99 5:47 PM, Bill Studenmund at wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Andy wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have an idea what is the nature of the problem booting from
>> internal ide drive on  G3 266 ?
>
> As far as I know, there is no specific problem with the internal IDE drive
> on a G3.
>
> Assuming you have OFW version 2.4, the problem is the same as for the
> version 3 machines - OFW doesn't like our standard booting method!
>
> This method is to embed bootxx (a very primitive boot loader) into a
> MacOS driver partition, and have it set up to load ofwboot. It no longer
> works.
>
> I modified ofwboot recently to generate an .xcf version (XCOFF) which
> these machines should be able to load off of a file system. What this will
> need is a MacOS partition table, an HFS partition on one of them with
> ofwboot.xcf, and NetBSD partitions in the other MacOS partitions.
>
> It's a work in progress - we need lots of tool work.
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

    I haven't been able to boot my Beige DT/233 system yet either (OF v
2.0f1). I have a dedicated WD 4.3 GB HD with NetBSD installed. Let me know
if I can be of assistance. I also have a VS 3100/m30, DS 5000/200, and a DS
5000/240, all dual booting NetBSD 1.4.1 or Ultrix 4.5.

    Chris

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."