Subject: Re: Powerbook G3 boot floppy problem
To: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
From: matt baker <matt@sevenone.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/25/1999 18:58:54
> > My problem is that after entering OF, I cannot seem to get the machine
> > to boot from the floppy.
> >
> > Some details are:
> >
> > Powerbook G3, wallstreet II, 233MHz, 12" TFT screen, 64MB
> > OF version 2.0.1
> > boot floppy created using Suntar 2.2.2
>
> Did you try gnu tar too?
>
> Has someone here NetBSD running on such a PB? I own one too...
> (but without floppy)

Okay,  some more testing...

- created new boot floppy with dd on FreeBSD box
- still same errors booting with floppy drive in lefthand media-bay
- first attempt at boot fd:0 with drive in righthand bay results with often
  refered to "Default Catch" error.
- second attempt at boot fd:0 with drive in righthand side, actually boots!

only problem is that it goes through loading the kernel, then does the various
probing of devices, seems to find them all okay, then at the point where
I guess
is the end of the probe sequence, and it's about to start rc loading or something
i get an error, the screen clears, and a reboot happens.
Unfortunatly this is all so quick (damn it boots quick!) that I can't
actually read
the error, nor know exactly what point it happens.  I'm about to try a
newer boot
floppy 'bootfloppy-990220.fs' that I found on the site and see if this
is any different,
otherwise will setup a serial console and boot that way so that
hopefully I don't get the
clear screen and can maybe read the error message.

Matt.