Subject: Re: ld broken in 1.4.1?
To: Sean Sweda <sweda@netcommandos.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/22/1999 17:43:59
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Sean Sweda wrote:

> notice quite a few familiar names though).  Anyways, I'm having a lot
> of trouble with shared libraries.  For example, building perl with
> a shared version of Berkeley DB gives the following error when testing
> the module:

Are you using the perl and db packages? If not, please do! If so, check on
tech-pkg@netbsd.org. The package guru's hang out there. :-)

> Can't load
> '/usr/local/perl/lib/5.00503/macppc-netbsd/auto/DB_File/DB_File.so'
> for module DB_File:
> /usr/local/perl/lib/5.00503/macppc-netbsd/auto/DB_File/DB_File.so:
> Unsupported relocation type 10in non-PLT relocations

Off the top of my head, sounds like something's getting compiled with the
wrong flags. Hmmm... /usr/local, sounds like it's not the package. Try the
package first, and see how it does.

> I've searched the CPAN archives and talked to the Berkeley DB folks,
> and have pretty much narrowed this down to a problem with the linker.
> Syntax error on line 238 of /usr/local/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:  Cannot
> load /usr/local/httpd/libexec/libphp4.so into server:
> /usr/local/httpd/libexec/libphp4.so:  Undefined PLT symbol "acos"
> (reloc type = 21, symnum = 1274)

Try the package here too. Folks have beaten a path in getting things to
work on NetBSD. Life will be easier if you follow them. ;-)

> I made a feeble attempt at getting gcc-2.95.2 to compile, but the
> configure script doesn't like the unknown host system type
> (macppc-unknown-netbsd1.4.1).  Which begs the question, what hoops
> did you guys have to jump through in order to ship netbsd with
> egcs-1.1.1, and can that same procedure be applied to 2.95.2?

Try some sort of powerpc target. The cross compilers I have are targeted
for powerpc-netbsd. :-) The libbfd target all our files use is
elf32-powerpc.

Take care,

Bill