Subject: Re: NetBSD as OS
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: T. M. Pederson <salvage@galaxy.plethora.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/21/1999 05:28:06
>Hi!
>
>I'm setting up an 8500/180 running NetBSD 1.4.1 as file storage, name
>server and IP-NAT for a LAN with about 30 workstations (Mac and PCs);
>I've done the installation without serious problems and I use
>Bootvars to choose the boot device.
>
>Now the system is ready and I would like to replace the internal HD
>with the one holding NetBSD.
>
>The question is:
>how I can set OF to boot always NetBSD, even after PRAM zapping or
>other sort of manipulations like internal battery replacement?

At the moment, NetBSD doesn't have that feature.  If you've only got
a drive with NetBSD present and you zap the PRAM, you'll need to go
into OF once afterward and reset the boot-device variable.

On the 8500 that would be something like:
setenv boot-device scsi/sd@<harddrive ID>:0
--
T. M. Pederson
salvage@galaxy.plethora.net