Subject: Re: that was really easy
To: T. M. Pederson <salvage@galaxy.plethora.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/1999 17:09:53
On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, T. M. Pederson wrote:

> >>Off the top of my head, I've only got a hint:
> >>
> >>It's going to depend on the specific IDE/SCSI address of the drive and
> >>the version of Open Firmware, but something like:
> >>boot scsi/sd@1:0
> >>should work for a drive with SCSI ID 1 on the default buss.  Essentially,
> >>you need to tell Open Firmware the device and id of the disk, and to start

*NIT*

Partition 0 is not one of the normal MacOS partitions, it is "the whole
disk." When we use this, we're relying on the fact that older versions of
OF will roll over to using a bootable partition if it doesn't find a
filesystem.

> Basic breakdown:
> * Pick one of:
>     scsi (for single buss boxen)
>     scsi-int (internal buss on dual buss boxen)
>     scsi-ext (external buss on dual buss boxen)
> * separate from the next part with a '/'
> * and then:
>     sd (SCSI Disk)
> * separate from the next part with a '@'
> * put in the disk ID #, this ranges from 0-6
> * separate from the next bit with a ':'
> * put in the boot partition #, NetBSD uses 0 at the moment.
> In short: <buss>/sd@<ID>:0

We're actually working on bing able to not use the :0 trick. It doesn't
work on newer beige G3's, and on anything with OF 3.X.

> If you've got an IDE based system, things get more complicated.  One of:
> ata/@0:0
> ata/ata-disk@0:0
> ata/ATA-Disk@0:0
> ATA/ATA-Disk@0:0
> ata0/@0:0
> ide0/disk@0:0
> should work depending on hardware and Open Firmware version.  Most systems
> work with the first line.  G3s claim the last, and PowerBooks claim the
> next-to-last (ata0/@0:0).

ultra0 works on my Blue G3. :-)

> >Of course if the kernel isn't on the first partition, then that adds
> >additional complications.  I would look at the linuxppc site for more
> >info.
>
> My understanding from reading the NetBSD/macppc docs is that NetBSD (at
> this time) doesn't share a given drive with others.  Thus, it's always
> on the 'first' partition.  Also, unless there's been a change since last
> I checked, NetBSD/macppc doesn't do the Apple partition map (which is why
> it doesn't share).

You're exactly correct, given that partition 0 is not the first one. :-)

We actually now support MacOS partitioning. I added it a while ago.

Just DON'T use installboot with MacOS partitioned disks - it will destroy
them!

Take care,

Bill