Subject: Re: that was really easy
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, salvage@galaxy.plethora.net>
From: Aaron Jackson <jackson@msrce.howard.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/1999 13:54:39
>My experience with BootX puts it in the category of a 'cute toy'.  It's
>great for experimenting, but I wouldn't trust a production box to it.

It's always worked for me.  I think, like with any free software, it's
stability is limited by the number of machines the developer has access
to.  I just mention BootX because, as far as I know, it is the only
reliable way to boot into "another OS" on most macs.

>And I haven't been able to launch BootX on some boxes.  It's a nice option,
>but I would not make it first priority as Open Firmware based booting is
>already working (on most boxen).  I'd say first priority is to get a bit
>of added functionality in the installer so it can set the requisite OF
>variables.

True.  What I ment to say is that a reliable way to boot into NetBSD should
be first priority. I guess it really doesn't matter how that is
accomplished.

>My understanding from reading the NetBSD/macppc docs is that NetBSD (at
>this time) doesn't share a given drive with others.  Thus, it's always
>on the 'first' partition.  Also, unless there's been a change since last
>I checked, NetBSD/macppc doesn't do the Apple partition map (which is
>why
>it doesn't share).
>
>LinuxPPC has a page at http://www.linuxppc.org/userguide/booting.html
>that goes into some detail on Open Firmware boot variables.

Also, if you download Darwin, it comes with a MacOS boot loader which
will patch buggy open firmware.  I think it only runs on g3s though.

Aaron Jackson