Subject: Re: that was really easy
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, salvage@galaxy.plethora.net>
From: Aaron Jackson <jackson@msrce.howard.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/1999 10:49:33
>Off the top of my head, I've only got a hint:
>
>It's going to depend on the specific IDE/SCSI address of the drive and
>the version of Open Firmware, but something like:
>boot scsi/sd@1:0
>should work for a drive with SCSI ID 1 on the default buss.  Essentially,
>you need to tell Open Firmware the device and id of the disk, and to start
>
>I'm sure I found the info somewhere at one point, but I can't seem to
>locate it now.

It's not quite that easy.  LinuxPPC had a very hard time with this issue
until BootX was written, which is a great program by the way.  I seem to
remember that the guy who wrote BootX said something about porting it to
NetBSD.  I think this should be first priority since, after all, what good
is an OS if you can't boot it?  But, who am I to talk, since I am not
much of a programmer and can not help developing such a thing.  Anyway,
a large number of macs have broken firmware that doesn't do what it should
do, so you could be in for quite an adventure trying to figure out what
the right boot command is.

On my 8500 I have to use

boot scsi-int/sd@4:0

Of course if the kernel isn't on the first partition, then that adds
additional complications.  I would look at the linuxppc site for more
info.

Aaron Jackson