Subject: Re: NetBSD macpcc booting
To: None <rmore@rmore.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/16/1999 11:40:13
On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Rod Morehead wrote:

> I am having a problem booting/installing the 1.4.1 release on my
> PowerMac 8500:
>

> 	1) If I use the internal SCSI bus, OF won't load the kernel.

Why not?

> 	2) If I use the external SCSI bus, the NetBSD probe of my
> 	Seagate drive fails.
>
> 	(The only drive the probe works on is an old 240 MB Quantum).

Weird!

> I was wondering if you could do one or more of the following:
>
> 	1) Let me know where a kernel/image resides that can be booted
> 	from MacOS file system (avoid problem #1) (along with how to
> 	configure OF for load from a MacOS partition).
>
> 	I can't tell from the mailing list archives where to get
> 	a current kernel (or even if there is such a place).

Unfortunatly you usually compile -current kernels. :-(

You realize that you currently have NetBSD on a NetBSD-partitioned disk,
and that you can't use MacOS partitioing on that disk (installboot
destroys macos partition tables)?

> 	2) Tell me how to tell NetBSD to use a different filesystem
> 	than the one the kernel was loaded.

Something like boot disk_from_installboot -a

Then ofwboot will ask about where to find the kenrel. Say the right device
and add an -a at the end. Then the keernel will ask.

> 	3) A kernel that might provide better external SCSI bus
> 	support.

Not sure.

> Any suggestions or pointers would be helpful.

Exactly how we boot is an area of active development. :-)

Take care,

Bill