Subject: Re: ipnat and NetBSD
To: Andy <andy@softbook.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/12/1999 13:22:19
On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Andy wrote:

> I've successfully configured ipnat on a 9500  with 2 network cards.  I'm
> connected to the outside world via a RoadRunner cable modem ( thank God
> they don't require that stupid authorization program any more!!) It works
> great!
> One puzzling thing though is that it still spits out a bunch of scary
> messages at boot, like :
> "corrupted lease file"
> "cannot find "mc0:"
> "cannot find "[" <-- what the heck is that?

"[" is /bin/[, which is a link to /bin/test. It's so that "if [ -f
'somefile ] " works right in sh.

> but nothing is recorded in the messages log.
> IAnother curious thing: aren't there supposed to be device files for the
> network intefaces I have in /dev ?

No. Network devices don't have device nodes as do character and block
devices.

>  I sure don't have neither "mc0" ( built-=in Ethernet ) nor "de0 ( Asante
> PCI 10/100 card)

:-) either "don't have either ... or" or "sure have neither ... nor". :-)

I'm not sure about what's giving you the errors you see above. Maybe dhcp
is playing with the wrong interface??

Take care,

Bill