Subject: PowerLogix G3 Upgrade
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/09/1999 16:40:53
I just put the above-mentioned G3 upgrade into my 8500.  All of $169 at
Other World Computing.  Nice, though it doesn't speed up web surfing over a
modem much.

Reading through the manual for the beast I find a statement that there is a
"speculative read" capability for the cache which should be disabled on
machines which did not originally have a G3 processor.  I take this to be a
cache-coherency issue for motherboards which did not take this into
account.

Does the NetBSD kernel configure the G3 L2 cache with this (presumed)
compatibility problem in mind?  Does anyone know the PowerPC chips well
enough to comment?