Subject: Re: booting current....
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/08/1999 13:48:21
On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Bob Nestor wrote:

> Bob Nestor  (rnestor@augustmail.com) wrote:
>
> >Yes. I had this problem in a -current kernel I built last week and also
> >today.  I wasn't able to test anything in between because of the probems
> >with an unresolved symbol in the cardbus stuff most of last week, but
> >that's now been fixed.
> >
> >I wonder if you're seeing the same problem up to this point as well.  My
> >kernel boots (and finds the Adaptec 2930) and gets all the way to the
> >prompt for the root device (I'm using a netboot).  At this point I
> >attempt to type in "wd1<cr>" which has a loaded filesystem, but nothing
> >gets echoed back.  When it sees the <cr> it pauses about 10 seconds then
> >spits out the SPLBUSBCHECK error and echos the "w".  If I type in
> >"d1<cr>" at this point it prompts for the dump and filesystem entries. I
> >enter "<cr>" to both which it seems to accept and it proceeds to display
> >that it's loading from wd1 then it hangs forever.  Going back and booting
> >the other kernel I have (netbsd.WATERDEEP79) it comes up and runs from
> >wd1, so I know the filesystem is still OK.  Is it possible I'm hung
> >because I don't have the new type of disklabel on the disk?

Nope. disklabeling should have nothing to do with this problem - it was a
backwards-compatable change. :-)

I'm kinda seeing the same thing. The problem is that after the SPLUSBCHECK
error, booting doesn't work.

My test:

from OF: boot enet:0,ofwboot.elf -a
boot> enet:0 -a
[kernel boots]
root device (default bm0):

Now if I hit return soon, things work fine. If however I wait a while, I
get the SPLUSBCHECK error. After that point, hitting return (and getting
the defaults) gets me to "root on: bm0" (I think that's the text), and
nothing else happens.

The only thing different is I waited long enough to get the usb error.
Then booting doesnt work.

I've also tried altroot booting either the internal zip or the disks on
the buslogic card. I can't get "sd0" typed in fast enough for either one
to make it past the SPLUSBCHECK error, so I can't altroot boot. :-(

Take care,

Bill