Subject: Re: puc device in 1.4.1 -release
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/06/1999 20:11:00
On Sat, 6 Nov 1999 19:24:15 -0800 (PST)
 Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:

 [ monroe said... ]
 > > Actually, MacOS will completely ignore most PCI cards that don't have an
 > > OF driver.

That wouldn't make much sense, because then 3rd party vendors couldn't
make effective use of loadable drivers in MacOS :-)

I think it's a matter of "those things which OFW doesn't talk to MacOS
doesn't talk to because they have no reason to" :-)  I.e. they're not
standard Mac devices.

 > I'm not sure, but I think it will actually configure them (i.e. set up the
 > memory and i.o spaces they want) even without an OF driver. It won't do
 > much else with them, though. :-)

OFW will configure the PCI bus (though, sometimes, incorrectly :-), but
still makes the BARs available in the device's OFW properties (even if
the OFW doesn't have a driver for the device).  I seriously doubt that
MacOS has PCI bus configuration code in it, given the behavior Bill and
I have observed on his G3 :-)