Subject: Need help bootstrapping a 7500
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/06/1999 02:15:13
I'm trying to get NetBSD installed on a 7500 with a G3 card, and I'm kinda
stuck.

I can't seem to get booting from floppy to work.  Using the 1.4.1 boot.fs
image, I can either get:

CLAIM failed

or

READ TIMEOUTread segment: Input/output error

while reading the kernel in, or (if I'm lucky) get most of the way through
booting (seeing device probes, etc.) and hang right after a line about the
MD file system.  (I haven't gotten this far in a while, and I didn't write
the exact line down.)

It's entirely possible that my floppy drive is flaking out.  Probable, even.

I'm pretty certain that the version of open firmware in this machine (1.0.5)
only groks xcoff format binaries.

Does an xcoff version of ofwboot exist?  How about an xcoff kernel?  I have
another NetBSD (-mac68k) machine that I should be able to netboot from, and
I can also try booting from filesystems or burned CDs (I have a CDR here),
but only if I can start with something in xcoff format.

If I can just get an MD kernel to boot _once_, and I should be able to get
something on a hard disk and go from there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-- monroe