Subject: Re: puc device in 1.4.1 -release
To: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/05/1999 21:24:06
> I am trying to add a pci puc device to a 7300. (SIIG Cyber Serial Dual
> PCI (dual serial), as per http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html).
> The GENERIC kernel sees it as

Note that adding random non-OF-compliant PCI cards to your Mac might
make you unable to boot MacOS.

> Now, trying to build a kernel with 'makeoptions DEBUG="-g"' for
> debug symbols renders it un-bootable. Strip reports:
>
> strip --strip-debug netbsd
> BFD: st03461a: warning: allocated section `.bss' not in segment

Did that really never get fixed? Hm... Anyway, it only happens to some
kernels. Try adding or removing random devices and options to your
kernel config and you might end up with a kernel that it can strip.

> Is the puc device supported in macppc? If not, what would it take to
> make it so?

The fact that it's not in GENERIC probably means no one has tried it.

It might need big-endian fixes...

-- Dan