Subject: Re: newbie question
To: Cliff Crawford <cjc26@cornell.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/05/1999 14:10:02
On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Cliff Crawford wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> | Another option would be to go with MacOS partitioning, which is available
> | in -current and recent -release branch kernels. Then keep an hfs partition
> | around. I think it's fine to boot the kernel right off of there.
>
> Is hfs support built into the kernel itself?  I thought this (booting a kernel
> from an hfs partition) was only possible from OF.
> It would be nice if I could dump the installation tarballs onto an hfs drive
> and have the installer read them from there..is that even possible?

hfs support is not in the kernel at present, though the hfsutils package
(in pkgsrc/sysutils) will read & write such a partition quite happily.

What I now think would be the best thing to do is just have a little hfs
partition with ofwboot on it, and have the NetBSD kernel live on the
NetBSD root.

Take care,

Bill