Subject: Weird OF problem
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Brands <j.brands@crypto.philips.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/04/1999 11:36:22
Hi all,

I have this weird open firmware problem...
I am trying to make a boot menu for my iMac, allowing me to choose an OS to
boot. It should print something along the lines of:

Press a key:
 <M>ac OS
 <D>arwin OS
 <N>etBSD
 <O>pen Firmware

and start a default OS after a couple of seconds when no key is pressed.

I found some useful Forth code for this on some Linux site and I already
adjusted this Forth code, but... I am having trouble putting the code into
the OF variable "boot-command" (which is exuted upon booting).

The System Disk extension of Mac OS only allows me to put about 80
characters in there; much too short. And I don't seem to be able to type in
the string by hand, because some of the strings (for the "boot-device")
contain backslashes (\), which my keyboard refuses to produce at the open
firmware prompt...
(Another option, the BootVars program (also for Mac OS), does not seem to
work on the iMac, which is what I was warned for on several www-pages...)

I am not sure that my keyboard is the problem, but I think it may be. I
live in Holland, so that's where I bought the iMac and the keyboard
contains some "strange" keys (at least to me, who worked most of his life
with non-Apple computers), such as a key containing a plus-minus sign and a
section mark.

     Jan