Subject: Re: iMac serial port/internal modem
To: Jan Brands <j.brands@crypto.philips.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/03/1999 10:43:50
On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Jan Brands wrote:

> I am new on the list. I installed NetBSD 1.4 on my iMac a couple of weeks
> ago. I boot NetBSD over my network from a FreeBSD server, using
> ofwboot.elf. Everything works fine out of the box (except for the keyboard
> bug ;-) : NFS, X11. (Although I had to remove some RAM at first to be able
> to boot the GENERIC kernel and to build a customized kernel). Great work!

Cool!

> There is one important thing (to me, at least) I haven't figured out,
> though: which device is the internal modem? I would love to be able to set
> up a connection with my ISP using ppp, but so far I couldn't even figure
> out which device to use...

It should be tty00, I think.

> >Don't forget that tty00 is the modem, and tty01 is the printer.
> Is this the same for the iMac? When I use "tip" with this device it says
> "connection closed" (or something similar) after about 10 seconds (same
> with tty01).

Make sure the entry in /etc/remote for the modem has ":dc" in it - that
means don't wait for carrier detect to be asserted before communicating.
You should then be able to talk to the modem, I think.

Or use /dev/dty00 if you have it. It's just like tty00 except it doesn't
wait for carrier detect (it's the _d_ial out port).

> What I understood from the man-pages, there should also be devices called
> ttya and ttyb, but they are not there in /dev, nor have I got a clue how to
> make them...

Which man pages said that? There should only be tty00, tty01, dty00, and
dty01.

Take care,

Bill