Subject: Re: Adaptec SCSI
To: Aaron Jackson <jackson@msrce.howard.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/03/1999 13:08:58
On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 11:50:23AM -0500, Aaron Jackson wrote:
> >I'm increasingly of the opinion that such logic is not only incorrect,
> >but self-defeating.  Getting a flood of complaints from customers is
> >the *only* thing that will wake up some of these companies.  I
> >encourage people to call Adaptec and bother them until they do
> >something.
>
> I am on another BSD list where it was suggested that everybody mail
> adaptec developers.  An adaptec developer sent back a rather pissed off
> reply to the list saying something to the effect that he was the only
> one who worked with open source OSes and bothering him wasn't going to
> help to speed up support in the future.  I guess it depends on who you

Yeah, well, the person who suggested that on that "other BSD list" did,
in fact, get docs.  On the other hand, we were polite and played the game
the way Adaptec said to, have been, in fact, politely asking for docs for
months, and we do *not* have them.

In fact, all we get is absurd claims that we already have docs and refusal
to identify who among us, in fact, has them (obviously because we do *not*
actually have them, so there is nobody to identify!).  That coupled with
the instructions to the other folks who *do* have them not to share them
with others adds up to one simple truth: we played the game by Adaptec's
rules and, in the end, they're giving us the shaft.

If you happen to have the email address of that developer at Adaptec,
perhaps you could forward this to him.  That might be a constructive thing
to do.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"