Subject: Re: Serial ports, pppd- problem
To: Pawel Jaskorzynski <pawel@mw.mil.pl>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/03/1999 09:52:10
On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Pawel Jaskorzynski wrote:

> Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > Please try the alphabet, both upper and lower case, and tell me which
> > letters don't make it. At first glance, it sounds like a parity problem.
> >
> More or less, here are the characters that are not displayed properly on
> the remote terminal:
> yup[]asdghkl;zvbnm,./12478=@#%^&*)|QWERTIOAFJLXC>

Are you sure about this list? The most likely thing to have gotten wrong,
especially with a terminal, is the parity.

Looking at the numbers, 12478 had problems. In hex, their ascii
representations are: 0x31, 0x32, 0x34, 0x37, 0x38. You'll note they all
have an odd number of bits, while 0 (30), 3 (33), 5 (35), 6 (36), and 9
(39), characters which made it, all have an even number. Looking a bit
mroe at your list, a (0x61), s (73), d (64), g (67), F (46), J (4a), L
(4c), X (58), and C (43) all have an odd number of bits. The only other
letter on your list I tried was "A", which I think should have been fine
(it has an even # of bits).

> machine) does not solve the above problem.

Try stty -f /dev/tty01 parenb -parodd on the NetBSD box.

> I think it doesn't matter which line is the modem hooked to. My modem is
> plugged into the printer port, since my serial console works on the
> other one.

You're right that the ports are symmetric - it doesn't matter which one
you use. I just wanted to make sure you had the tty#'s and port name
lined up right. Originally, mkLinux had the modem at tty01 & printer at
tty00..

Take care,

Bill