Subject: Re: Problems Netbooting B&W G3
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Cliff Crawford <cjc26@cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/02/1999 22:32:24
On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:

| Oh, dang. I remember what this problem is. There's some step of hardware
| initialization which we're not doing, which happens when you netboot. So
| it works fine for me, but not for you..
|
| Try attempting to netboot before booting from the disk.

I tried that, and it >still< didn't work..sysinst gave lots of "no route
to host" errors again after the network config.
I guess my only options now are:

- cross-compile (from my FreeBSD machine) an INSTALL kernel based on
  -current, to get the ethernet working (has anyone already done this?)

- burn a cd with the install tarballs on it, and the kernel source, and
  then install from that and build a -current kernel to boot from

- run away screaming to Linux land :)

--
cliff crawford   http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
-><-                        Shall she hear the lion's roar?