Subject: Re: Serial ports, pppd- problem
To: Pawel Jaskorzynski <pawel@mw.mil.pl>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/02/1999 15:07:49
On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Pawel Jaskorzynski wrote:

> Hi all,
> 	I am trying to configure pppd for dialing-out. I have a
> SupraExpress33.6 modem. It looks like the modem doesn't want to work
> nicely with netbsd. When making a terminal connection with another
> machine (freebsd) I noticed, that only _some_ characters are OK when
> typing from netbsd. And this is not a question of errors on the line.
> For example on the remote terminal I cannot see 'd', ';', '/' and many

Please try the alphabet, both upper and lower case, and tell me which
letters don't make it. At first glance, it sounds like a parity problem.

> others. What is going on? Do I have to change the settings on the modem
> line? Now it is:
> # stty -f /dev/tty01
> ispeed 0 baud; ospeed 38400 baud;
> lflags: echoe echoke echoctl
> oflags: onocr onlret
> cflags: cs8 -parenb
>
> Well, I tried to, but it looks like only crtscts can be set.

Hmmm. A lot more things can be set. But one problem you'll run into if
you're just doing stty commands is that the settings get reset when the
port goes from inactive to active. So "stty -f /dev/tty00 stuff ; stty -f
/dev/tty00" won't show the settings changes by "stuff". To get that, do
something like:

cat /dev/tty00 &
stty -f /dev/tty00 to your hearts content.

Since the cat command keeps tty00 open, the stty settings will stick.

Don't forget that tty00 is the modem, and tty01 is the printer.

Take care,

Bill