Subject: Re: Problems Netbooting B&W G3
To: Cliff Crawford <cjc26@cornell.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/02/1999 14:37:46
On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Cliff Crawford wrote:

> Thanks for everyone's help so far. :)  I've gotten a little farther
> now.  I added an ide drive to my machine to install on, and I'm
> booting the installation kernel from a MacOS partition on a scsi
> drive like before.  (I'll worry about the scsi problem later..)  Now
> I'm having a weird network problem again.  I'm using the builtin
> ethernet port (bm0).  Under MacOS, it works just fine, I can get on
> the internet and stuff.  However, when I try to set up the network
> in sysinst, it can't ping the gateway or nameserver, it says "ping:
> sendto: No route to host".  I tried plugging it directly into the

I think that's a sysinst mess-up. My Blue G3 at work regularly netboots,
and has an nfs root directory. :-) Using the bm0 interface. :-)

> wall instead of going through the hub, with the same results.  Is
> the built-in ethernet also unsupported in NetBSD?  (Is there ANY
> hardware that IS supported?? ;)

This one's supported. :-)

Oh, dang. I remember what this problem is. There's some step of hardware
initialization which we're not doing, which happens when you netboot. So
it works fine for me, but not for you..

Try attempting to netboot before booting from the disk.

Tsubai, can you think of a good fix for this?

Take care,

Bill