Subject: Re: Problems Netbooting B&W G3
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Kevyn Shortell <kevyn@apple.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/02/1999 10:22:53
There is a linux driver for this card, why not simply take the driver
and port it? =)

Kevyn

At 9:55 AM -0800 11/2/99, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>Sorry, I thought I'd sent this yesterday..
>
>On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Cliff Crawford wrote:
>
>  > | What kind of scsi controller is it, exactly?
>  >
>  > Ultra2 LVD SCSI
>
>Unfortunatly that's not supported. Adaptec won't give NetBSD the
>documentation necessary to make a driver. For older products, NetBSD and
>FreeBSD used the same driver, so Adaptec learned if they sent docs to a
>certain FreeBSD developer, then FreeBSD and NetBSD got a driver. Well, the
>driver that developer wrote for this card depends on a scsi driver
>interface (specifically FreeBSD's CAM mid-layer) which NetBSD does not
>have, thus his driver won't work on NetBSD. There are a number of reasons
>why NetBSD won't just copy this CAM mid-layer.
>
>Unfortunatly there's a bit of corporate memory at Adaptec, and so some of
>them they still remember the FreeBSD developer as being the NetBSD
>contact. :-(
>
>Take care
>
>Bill

Kevyn Shortell                    Worldwide Developer Relations
Technology Manager          	  Apple Computer, Inc
kevyn@apple.com                   http://developer.apple.com/
"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left"