Subject: Problems with a PMac 7600
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <juergent@mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/29/1999 14:49:02
Hi,

first I have to say that I wish I had such a good explanation of the Mac
boot process and Open Firmware like the two yesterday posted by Geoffrey C
Kinnel and Henry B. Hotz. Thanks to them.

My experiences with installing NetBSD are really strange. 2 or 3 month ago
I checked out 1.4 with a Quantum Fireball (with Apple-ROM) and a IBM
DCAS-32160 harddisk. It worked after I learned to use OF. This was just a
test because I didn't had the time to learn NetBSD.
A few weeks ago the Fireball got damaged and I put in a IBM DPES-31080
(with Apple-ROM) and exchanged the DCAS with a IBM DORS-32160, saw that
NetBSD-1.4.1 appeared and tried to install it. It wasn't possible. The
boot process from the installer floppy didn't finish and produced a Reset.
I exchanged the DPES with the DCAS and this problem disappeard, booting
the system from floppy worked and the installer appeared. I tried to
install NetBSD on the DORS but while writing the devices (after extracting
the system) the system gave up with a dma error.
I checked out installing on the DCAS and it worked, also with the DORS
connected! Can someone  explain this behaviour?

Currently I'm trying to learn more about the system. One of the most
interesting things is how to change the screen resolution because 640x480
is definitly not big enough. From the postings last week my conclusion is
that it is set in OF but nobody knows how. Is that right? Are you all
using 640x480? And the hint

=09- For configuring the X window system, if installed, see the files in=20
=09  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc.=20
=09  Further information can be found on http://www.xfree86.org/=20

in INSTALL.* is not valid for port-macppc, isn't it?

=09Greetings
=09J=FCrgen
--=20
J=FCrgen Tritthardt             Max-Planck-Institut fuer med. Forschung
Tel. 06221/486279                          Abt. Biomedizinische Optik
Fax. 06221/486225                       Jahnstr. 29, 69120 Heidelberg