Subject: Re: OF questions- followup
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/28/1999 17:39:03
On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> At 9:13 PM -0700 10/27/99, Donald Lee wrote:
> >	boot scsi/sd@1:0
> >
> >SCSI ID 1, partition 0, no filename.  Question: does ofwboot really
> >put its stuff in part 0, or is this some sort of dummy spec?
>
> I think partition 0 means the raw device ignoring partitioning.  I don't
> think it works in version 3 of OF.
>
> Corrections anyone?

Right, partition 0 is the whole unit. For disks, it's the whole disk w/o
partitioning. Not sure exactly what it is for ethernet other than
required for me. :-)

The reason it doesn't work is that versions 1.0.5 and 2.0.X of OF would
look for a "driver" in one of the MacOS partitions, which on macppc disks
just happened to be a loader called boot_xx which would load ofwboot. :-)

OF version 3.X really will only boot off of a file on a filesystem. That's
why I merged in MacOS partitioning, so that we can see the partition MacOS
uses to get it.

OF version 2.4 doesn't like our partitions - I don't know if it's the same
problem as above, or that the macos partition table installed by
installboot is incomplete (I know that pdisk went nuts on one of my
installs). So there might be hoe there for us. :-)

Take care,

Bill