Subject: Re: OF questions- followup
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/27/1999 23:13:42
FYI y'all:

Syntax of the "boot" command is

	boot [device-spec] [arguments]

The key is the device-spec, which looks like this for a (fake) SCSI disk:

	/pci/mac-io/mesh/disk@3,0:1,\etc\netbsd

using the full path, it would be SCSI ID 3, LUN 0, partition 1,
file "/etc/netbsd".  Several parts of this are optional.  For instance,
I boot my G3/266 with:

	boot scsi/sd@1:0

SCSI ID 1, partition 0, no filename.  Question: does ofwboot really
put its stuff in part 0, or is this some sort of dummy spec?

On my b&w, I can boot from the internal IDE disk with:

	boot hd:5,\netbsd

which is partition 5 on the internal hard drive (hd is a devalias) and
the file is on the root level of the disk.  (The first four partitions
are for the driver, patch partition, and I forget what else...)

I have not played with the arguments (yet ;-> )

-dgl-

--- begin forwarded text